Sunday, June 21, 2009

School Days in barrackpore continue..........(Entry dated 09/19/2008)

So as you already know by now, I joined KV barrackpore (Air Force) school in Class 3, and finished the unfinished Class which I started in KV Dimapur. I managed to top my class this time also, continuing on the trend so far, and then moved to Class-4 and then one by one into Class 6,7,8,9.........Nothing much interesting happened in those years to really take you all through on a detailed level, but I would love to share some defining moments/incidents which I still recall....

One of which is the yearly ritual of Krishna Madam...Her son was in a student in the same school, one year my junior. Every year, she used to take my books and notebooks for him....I really pity the poor guy on having to read old books without any apparent reason...and the worst part is having to refer classwork and homework notes of a senior...that too in school........and those good old days when studies were not as taxing as they are today ...

In all these years in KV Barrackpore, I consistently topped all the classes....but cannot say the same about co-curricular activities....I used to have a good handwriting - and both English and Hindi handwriting competitions were pretty regular for me. Well those of who who might have seen my handwriting recently may violently disagree to this, but believe me, the current state of affairs are mostly due to the almost complete migration from the "typed" medium from the "written" medium.....with some practice, if required, I assure you I can go back to my high standards of childhood

I also did participate in recitation and speech competitions here, but the success rate was very low. I developed speaking skills slightly later in the day....mostly when I moved to my next school. Today, formal communication is one of my key and closely nurtured skills....

Group song was a safe option - and luckily I used to be selected for that as well....Dance, again was something which was alien to me , mostly due to the fact that I was an obese child...I did discuss this in one of my previous posts. So during the shortlisting - one look at me, and I was out of the probables Not that it really affected me all that much....but there was definitely a sense of being left out....The first feeling of being different from the group ...being "non-normal" in some way.........And after so many years, after going through multitude of failures again and again and again.....now I have understood the meaning of success and failures .....and though I have learnt to accept failures and learn from them, the fact of being "non-normal" from the crowd in some aspects does hurt as badly as it did to me as a 8 year old ..........

1 comment:

  1. Koel
    I have a flat at Barrackpore and once I went to your school KV Barrackpore for a job. I was getting anxious at Gangtok and thinking of staying with the family. However things did not mature. I got that job of Maths teacher but I got an offer from agood company for resident Chief Geologist at half of my salary at the same post Before VRS. But this job was the turning point. The market became good in 2003 and I got another job in a Multinationbal Compoany and then one after another till my present job. A time during which I visited many countries.

    ReplyDelete