Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dimapur continues………after a really long time (Entry dated 05/19/2007)

Hi all....good to be back after while……

I am well settled in Delhi these days….we as much external “settlement” I can achieve in my current state I mean ..Getting used to the new job, new colleagues, new work culture etc etc. People keep asking me whether I “like” delhi, as generally people coming from other cities do not have a overall very positive opinion for Delhi. Well, I really don’t know the answer to this question……..For me my entire world revolves around my job…..so there are differences from my previous experience, but I am not sure it is due to the place or company. Otherwise, I am not a social person at all, so no idea about the general social scene. Overall, there has been no negative experience so far here…… provided you keep in mind the overall limitations of the city, especially in terms of security of women, other things don’t matter much….I have traveled to Mumbai couple to times so far, and somehow it sill feels like “home”, though I lived only for 3 years there……..The comfort level, the feeling of security the city gives u is just unique in itself……

Well that’s about life today, let me take you back to where I left ….. to continue my story – the journey into rediscovery which I started few months back….. So folks, where was I….I had just got admission in Holy Cross in LKG-A… I mean Section – A …..those days we used to refer class like that and used to be very particular that the section is mentioned as an integral part of the class Not sure whether it is the same way with kids these days……….I belong to a era of very very long ago, and things have evolved so much since then……

So life was should I say full of ups and downs…….well on second thoughts, not really, I don’t remember any “downs” in those days….Those were sunshine filled days, no worries, only fun. Worries were reserved for elders Though it was a alien place for us, with no extended family support available, but my parents managed very well. And those days we never knew about terms like consumerism……lives were very simple, very small needs and most surprisingly we all managed perfectly well and did have a very happy life………

So it was pretty mundane and normal ( well though normal is boring now, those days it was not ) life otherwise…..only that my father’s job was a little different from other regular central government jobs. I did mention I think that he was working in Geological Survey of India. The job involves exploration, so people need to be out in the wilderness, away from cosy confines of home looking for presence of sufficiently large reserve of minerals which can be potentially mined at a later stage. So he used to be away from Dimapur for around 3-4 months every year into different districts of Nagaland and Manipur. These used to be groups of 2-3 officers with assorted group of people including drivers, helpers etc, used to move out of the base station into remote locations, difficult terrains, and unfriendly people at times. Travel was by road…….no comfort of AC cars in those good old days, over narrow mountain roads……….days of travel to reach the destination. More specifically the transport used to be Jeeps ( Mahindra make………not sure whether they still make them these days ), and tagged on by loaded trailers, filled with provisions for a month or more….And then the camp used to be setup. At some of the better locations - in district headquarters like Mokukchung, Okha, Peren, there used be guest houses available as living quarters. In most other locations, it used to be tents…..

Life in these camps used to a different experience all together…..well, how do I know all these, my father was the one working for GSI, not me….Well, these exotic places used to be our vacation getaways…… During my vacations, ma and me also used to join my father for a month or so…….. Though it is very long time ago, I do have vivid memories of these good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment